Sunday, July 02, 2006

the national, part deux

Alright guys. I'm going to post the first two tracks from The National's Alligator. I don't pick these because they're the best on the album. The rest of the songs are just as badass. This band has quickly become one of my all-time favorites. I feel a little self-conscious that the rest of the musical blogosphere became passionate about them in '05. It is, after all, a competition.

I believe there are fundamentally two kinds of music afficianados: the "it has a good beat and I can dance to it" crowd, and the "it's clever and I can sing to it" crowd. The former tend to appreciate melodies, beats, and instrumentation more. The latter tend to appreciate the lyrical poetry and - in some cases - a "sing-along-able" key... I'm usually finding myself squarely in the latter category. Particularly since I spent about 7 years trying unsuccessfully to be a musician with any technical competence at all.

I would never suggest these two things are mutually exclusive; I think almost all music lovers take a little from column A and a little from column B. I'm just sayin'...

Well, the point of all this b.s. is that this band - (focus, here) The National - have it all. Really. I love them. You should love them, too. And you should order their music. From their website's shop, or eMusic. Do it now!

Tracks:

The National - Secret Meeting

The National - Karen

(Lyrics to these...)

No comments: