Saturday, July 08, 2006

hello.

Despite many attempts to the contrary by the pooh half of tigerpooh, I have spent little to no time looking at other music blogs. Consequently I have no notion of what this should be like. My desire or idea at the moment is that I would just sit down and write about what I am listening to, why, and how it affects me. I find that music helps me catalog my emotions, it is much more of a psychological thing for me than an analytical or artistic thing. Not that all of the other neuances aren't there, but I would say, by and large, and the majority of the time, listening to music is therapy between my real therapy. And then I wonder, in my youth, why I chose to sit on a couch across from Marilyn Manson. I listen to pretty much nothing that you haven't heard of (in addition to using double negatives). And I imagine I will stuggle between the ever present desire to be obscure and just being honest about what I like. So I will say right now I am a 28 year old man who likes tool, a lot. I also like texas is the reason, devendra banhart, tv on the radio, patty griffin, lyle lovett, blah blah blah, name drop, I want you to thing I am cool. I really do. It is why, at stop lights, I still turn up what I am listening to in the hopes that someone will majically walk up to me and say,"Holy crap is that onelinedrawing's sketchy ep#1 that you are listening to? I thought I was the only person who knew about that. You are so damn cool!" And in all reality if this were to happen, I would blush, smile, and then drive away without saying a word, feeling sheepishly pridefull.

Yesterday, I shared the following story with my friend Randy. In high school I used to get all bent out of shape when other people would wear nine inch nails shirts to school. I would think that they couldn't possibly "get" nin the same way that I do. It also made me feel terribly un-original. And so in the persuit of being original, I got into wear shirts of more obscure bands, bands I didn't really even like, like delicate terror and deathkulture bbq. And one day I realized, I just like nine inch nails, and that is okay (although other than the broken ep I really don't care to listen to nine inch nails anymore). I tell this story to say this: I believe that there are many wonderful bands and musicians out there that I have not heard and will probably be blown away, once again, when I finally do hear them. But I think that their obscurity does not give them any more clout or beauty than say, Chris Isaak, whom everyone has heard of. I have played the "this is my band that noone has heard of" game (the deftones), and lost miserably. So, now I try to be content with listening to what I enjoy, be it the cowboy junkies or godspeed you! black emperor, and stay open to new sounds and experiences. And hopefully I sound as self-rightous as possible in that process.

Back to my idea.

My idea was to write about what I am listening to at this moment and why. The problem is that I am in a public library and I am listening to traffic and the soft sounds of peoples voices.

4 comments:

Michael said...

You've heard of Traffic and the Soft Sounds of People's Voices!?!? I thought I was the only person who knew about that. You are so damn cool!

- Michael

Michael said...

You've heard of Traffic and the Soft Sounds of People's Voices!?!? I thought I was the only person who knew about that. You are so damn cool!

- Michael

Michael said...

oops. double post. I'm so damn not cool.

-michael

Justin said...

Hi Keith!

It reminds me of _High Fidelity_ by Nick Hornby (If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, I highly recommend both. They are both excellent for very different reasons). The book has a scene where Rob is complaining about how Barry is an obscurist. The movie has a similar scene involving "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

-- Justin Shoemate